History

In 1999, Sister Lorraine Ryan did a survey of the greatest needs of low-income women in Boynton Beach. Many could not speak English and were unemployed. The survey indicated a need for skills that would improve the women’s employability. Sister Lorraine and Sister Joan Carusillo founded the Women’s Circle to give these women the skills they lacked.

In 2000 the Women’s Circle moved into a 650 square foot rented space. Programs were developed in English, Creole literacy, computer skills, job preparation and sewing.

The Women’s Circle soon outgrew the space. In 2010 the Women’s Circle received an interest free loan from the Boynton Beach Community Redevelopment Agency and was able to purchase and move to a new 1250 square foot space. Demand for classes has continued to grow and a project is now underway to extend this space with a 4581 square foot addition.

Women’s Circle is supported by grants and private donations.